The most common questions
- Why chooseelite calfing compagny?
- Is the business insured?
- Are caulkers insured or covered by the CSST?
- Do you have a licence with the RBQ?
- Can I have a cost estimate over the phone, do you need to visit the premises in order to bid?
- Do we have to be present at the estimate?
- Do you provide written quotes?
- Why is it so important to do the caulking again?
- What are the potential savings in energy costs if we do the caulking again?
- When is it possible to do the caulking again?
- How do I know if it’s time to do the caulking again?
- We plan to have new windows installed in the next 2 to 3 years, but the current caulking needs to be redone. What to do?
- What type of sealant should be used?
- Can we choose the color of the new sealant?
- Can the color of the sealant change over time?
- Are there sealants that are better suited to certain climatic conditions?
- How can we pay for the caulking work?
- Do I have to give a deposit at the signing of the contract? If so, when?
- Do we need a permit and signage? If so, who is doing it?
- Should the work be done by employees with CCQ competency cards?
- Who can use the lifting equipment?
- Do I have to redo all the caulking joints at the same time?
- Are you repairing the masonry?
- Should mortar seals be sealed in the lightening of doors and windows?
- Do you repair elements of the roof?
What type of sealant should be used?
There are several types of sealants suitable for multiple situations and configurations. Generally, when repairing caulking around doors and windows,silicones and polyurethanes are the most specified, recommended, used and efficient.
The choice of one or the other depends on several factors.
Silicones are increasingly popular with industry professionals. It comes in several standard colours. Its finish is more lustrous and maintains better. It is also less affected by temperature variations when applied, making it easier to obtain more uniform and aesthetic joints.
Are there sealants that are better suited to certain conditions?
Depending on the substrates on which they will be applied, some types of sealants will be more appropriate than others.
In the majority of cases, the various sealants available have already been successfully applied to a wide range of materials. Despite all the respect given to product listings, there are always exceptions and new products are continually introduced into the industry.
In some cases, in order to avoid possible deficiencies, we recommend, in conjunction with manufacturers, to conduct adhesion tests that will allow us to better judge the performance of one product over another.
Can we choose the color of the new sealant?
There is now a wide range of standard colours to harmonize the sealant’s hue with the various architectural elements of your building.
It is even possible, in some cases, to adjust the hue in order to get closer to a hue that has been altered by the elements over the years. If the required quantity warrants, some special colors can be ordered and available in a few days or weeks.
Can the color of the sealant change over time?
Just like the different elements of your building envelope, the color of the sealants can be affected by
- The sun,
- The wind,
- air pollution,
- dust, etc.
Different in nature, the variation in colour cannot be constant from one element to another and the differences in hues can unfortunately increase with the years. There are so many different situations that it is virtually impossible to predict short-, medium- and long-term outcomes.
Seasonal maintenance to clean up accumulated dust will help reduce the effects of the main cause of discoloration.