There are several factors that influence the cost of caulking and there are different ways to calculate a bid
The most popular methods are:
- The opening and opening evaluation
- The quote at the linear foot.
One thing is certain, an evaluation without prior visit of the premises by the professional may reserve billing surprises at the passage of the master in caulking.
Price per opening.
Some companies evaluate the work at cost per opening,i.e. they set an average price for each small, medium and large window or door.
This method is very fuzzy on what determines the terms small, medium and does not say how big one considers a “large aperture”.
There is no established standard on this very vague vocabulary, but it is surprising that this calculation can be done over the phone. The randomness of this type of estimate is obvious
Little detailed, this method of submission to the advantage of being fast and inexpensive for the contractor, but remains quite frustrating for the customer.
In addition, this type of submission considers the state of the caulking in place regardless of the spots that are outside the standard:
The Elite Caulking submission:
A linear foot price.
Elite Caulking uses the linear foot method.
The perimeter of each of your windows and doors is carefully measured. A standard tariff is applied according to the parameters mentioned below.
A little longer to evaluate and requiring an on-site inspection, we consider this to be the most honest and accurate method of making a credible estimate. We also appreciate meeting with our future customers.
Meet the customer and SEE the site.
It is from the public that the evaluator inspector will consider the condition of the joints to change on a maximum opening of the house.
- The state of the caulking to be removed
- Taking exact measurements.
- Difficulties in implementing the site
This submission is very accurate, benefiting both parties as it offers no room for any surcharges on the final invoice.
- Detail by contract of the work to be performed
- Adjustment of a final price made window by window, door by door on site
Precision on the notion of linear foot.
The cost per linear foot of sealing joint installation varies according to the following criteria:
- The type of sealant and sealant conditions to be removed,
- The width of the joints in place during the visit,
- The width of the new joints to be applied (the new joints will always be wider than the previous ones),
- The number of joints around the openings,
- The type of seal around special windows such as thermos windows,
- Accessibility to parts of the building/building site,
Whether the assessment is done by opening or at the linear foot, the process of renovating the caulking will always include the following steps:
- Remove the maximum from the old sealant (90% to 100%) using professional tools.
- Clean surfaces with solvents to remove as much residue from old sealants as possible.
- Eliminate any dust or waste material that may affect the adhesion of the new sealant.
- Apply the new sealant with professional applicators.
- Shape the sealant to achieve a smooth, even finish.
- Clean up the premises at the end of the work.
Significant price differences?
Prices usually vary very little from one contractor to another and often it is the quality of work that makes the difference. (The amount of sealant consumed and the finish)
The caulkers have almost all the same operating costs:
- Maintaining a licence from the RBQ,
- The cost of using and maintaining professional vehicles,
- Insurance and including civil liability,
- Professional tooling,
- The sealing seal and quality materials,
- Maintaining a team of workers in good standing and covered by the CSST,
- Social and administrative expenses.
Depending on the nature of the work to be carried out for a caulking renovation,prices per opening will vary from $40.00 to $90.00 and linear foot prices will be estimated between $3.00 and $4.00.
Different caulking submissions will only be able to be compared if the same information and parameters are provided to contractors.
As soon as the price differentials exceed 10%, the customer should look for the reasons for this discrepancy, because ultimately
You have the right to get your money’s worth.