The most common questions
- Why chooseelite calfing compagny?
- Is the business insured?
- Are caulkers insured or covered by the CSST?
- Do you have a licence with the RBQ?
- Can I have a cost estimate over the phone, and do you need to visit the premises in order to bid?
- Do we have to be present at the estimate?
- Do you provide written quotes?
- Why is it so important to do the caulking again?
- What are the potential savings in energy costs if we do the caulking again?
- When is it possible to do the caulking again?
- How do I know if it’s time to do the caulking again?
- We plan to have new windows installed in the next 2 to 3 years, but the current caulking needs to be redone. What to do?
- What type of sealant should be used?
- Can we choose the color of the new sealant?
- Can the color of the sealant change over time?
- Are there sealants that are better suited to certain climatic conditions?
- How can we pay for the caulking work?
- Do I have to give a deposit at the signing of the contract? If so, when?
- Do we need a permit and signage? If so, who is doing it?
- Should the work be done by employees with CCQ competency cards?
- Who can use the lifting equipment?
- Do I have to redo all the caulking joints at the same time?
- Are you repairing the masonry?
- Should mortar seals be sealed in the lightening of doors and windows?
- Do you repair elements of the roof?
- We have fog on the inside surface of the windows of our building. Are we victims of water infiltration?
- Do you offer a guarantee against water infiltration?
We have fog on the inside surface of the windows of our building. Are we victims of water infiltration?
It is the variation in the outside temperature relative to the indoor temperature combined with the relative humidity level on the inside that will, or will not, appear the mist on the glazing as soon as the dew point is reached.
In the majority of cases, the phenomenon is caused by the lifestyles of the occupants.
Depending on human presence and daily activities such as cooking food, washing and showering, the relative humidity level will also vary and will have a definite impact on the phenomenon.
It’s like settling in your car in the winter without starting it; the heat and moisture you produce will inevitably settle on the surface of the cold windows, creating mist and possibly frost.
Do you offer a guarantee against water infiltration?
Not. Reoating only the caulking cannot guarantee that there will be no morewater infiltration especially for all used buildings. There may be more than one cause for these infiltrations and it is often by addressing or eliminating the cause of a problem that another cause is discovered.
Water infiltration can occur in a number of ways even if the caulking is cracked or taken off.
Here are some very common causes:
- Ice dams on sloping roofs due to heat loss in the attic,
- Loss of waterproofing around the thermos windows,
- Front door thresholds where water drain holes are clogged and/or insufficient during high water flows,
- Unnecessary addition of sealing in the “J” mouldings at the base of the aluminum or PVC walls,
- Accumulation of water on non-snow terraces during winter softness,
- Windows left ajar during heavy rains with high winds,
- Buée in the windows caused by lifestyle habits producing excessive humidity levels, etc.
The caulking repair remains a renovation project that cannot both correct non-apparent construction defects. Some recurring situations will require further expertise and the services of a general contractor in order to rectify the situation with a definitive solution.
Our specialized contractor licence allows us to carry out minor non-structural repairs, but we recommend that this work be entrusted to specialized contractors.