Like all openings, the front door is an access for fresh air and noise. It is therefore necessary to ensure that it benefits from very good sound and thermal insulation in order to avoid any inconvenience. Caulking is the most suitable solution to insulate your front door. To do this, it is necessary to call on our company(Calfeutrage-Elite),because we have the expertise to solve this kind of problem. We operate throughout the Greater Montreal area. Here’s why you should insulate your front door.
Insulating a front door
Insulating a front door is very important when you notice that air is passing through the slots that are in the frame or between the floor and the bottom of your door. Areas such as mailbox, lock, glazing are also places that you will need to check before starting caulking your door. This will allow you to avoid heat loss and moisture from the bottom of your front door.
Before any caulkingwork, it is important to know the type of insulation you are dealing with. It can be sound insulation when you are faced with a noise nuisance problem; then thermal insulation when you feel a draft of fresh air in your home or when you notice heat loss inside your home. To solve this state of affairs, we are the best when it comes to professional caulking. So you’ve come to the right place.
Why is it important to insulate your front door?
It is important to insulate your front door because it allows you to protect your home. Such an operation has, of course, a number of advantages when it is well carried out.
The advantages of insulating your front door
When you insulate your door, not forgetting to insulate the underside of the door, you will save a lot of money in air conditioning and heating. This will reduce heat and moisture loss. In addition, the well-separated doors increase the comfort of the inhabitants of the house since the cold and humidity are controlled.
We have several types of door insulation, such as: thermal insulation which is an obligation when renovating old buildings especially if the work is substantial such as the repair of the facade or walls, the renovation of the attic, etc. ; soundproofing; insulation against water and air which is also known as sealing work; fire insulation.
How to insulate your front door?
To insulate your front door, we follow several steps:
- We start by removing the old insulation that is at the level of your front door;
- We rid the surface of any imperfections of the old caulk by using 99% alcohol;
- We use a rod to support openings that are too large between the two joints;
- We apply a quality caulking product
- Finally, the sealing product is smoothed with a wooden stick.
In any case, to succeed in caulking, several elements must be taken into account:
- The caulking of the doors;
- Caulking of expansion joints;
- Thermos glass seals;
- The sealant;
- Adseal adfast sealant;
- Fireproof caulking.
The different techniques to improve insulation
We use insulation techniques according to the expected results and its nature. These techniques are:
First, you must start by plugging the slots in the front door using appropriate joints. For this purpose, we have 5 categories of seals that we can use depending on the front door:
- The bead to be nailed is well indicated to fill the 2 mm spaces between your door and the frame. It is mainly the space that is on the whole height.
- The adhesive seal is intended to close spaces from 1 to 5 mm. This material is polyurethane foam and is cheaper. However, its lifespan is limited.
- The V-ring adhesive seal is recommended for spaces over 1 to 6 mm. It is a polyurethane foam with 2 faces forming a V.
- The metal seal is used when the spaces to be closed are 1 to 6 mm. It is the device that ensures sustainability in this area.
- The silicone seal is recommended for spaces larger than 5 mm. This is a special paste that is found in a gun. It is intended to close the slots.
Whatever type of joints you wish to have, we advise you to always call on our expertise, because the installation of each material requires a certain knowledge and proven technicality.
After which you have to think about the protection and isolation of the bottom of your front door. In reality, most often there is a “day” that appears between the front door and the floor. This state of affairs is due to the outside temperatures and humidity level. To correct this situation, we recommend 3 solutions: the door bead, the brush holder bottom and the door flange.
In addition, the installation of an insulating curtain in front of the front door is a very simple and very effective measure to prevent the cold in winter from returning home. The various thermal curtains that exist are: fart, PVC, fleece and wool.
Finally, we are able to offer you entrance doors with windows to make favorable changes to the insulation.