The most common questions
- Why chooseelite calfing compagny?
- Is the business insured?
- Are caulkers insured or covered by the CSST?
- Do you have a licence with the RBQ?
- Can I have a cost estimate over the phone, do you need to visit the premises in order to bid?
- Do we have to be present at the estimate?
- Do you provide written quotes?
- Why is it so important to do the caulking again?
- What are the potential savings in energy costs if we do the caulking again?
- When is it possible to do the caulking again?
- How do I know if it’s time to do the caulking again?
- We plan to have new windows installed in the next 2 to 3 years, but the current caulking needs to be redone. What to do?
- Can I do the caulking work on my own?
- Can the new sealant simply be applied over the old one?
- What type of sealant should be used?
- Can we choose the color of the new sealant?
- Can the color of the sealant change over time?
- Are there sealants that are better suited to certain climatic conditions?
- How can we pay for the caulking work?
- Do I have to give a deposit at the signing of the contract? If so, when?
- Do we need a permit and signage? If so, who is doing it?
- Should the work be done by employees with CCQ competency cards?
- Who can use the lifting equipment?
- Do I have to redo all the caulking joints at the same time?
- Are you repairing the masonry?
- Should mortar seals be sealed in the lightening of doors and windows?
- Do you repair elements of the roof?
Can I do the caulking work on my own?
At first glance, the repair of caulking seems a simple task, but it is more complex than it seems.
In addition, depending on the configuration of your building, work at heights, with ladders or other lifting equipment, carries a great deal of risk and is highly regulated, supervised and supervised by the Occupational Health and Safety Commission(OHSC).
The category (RESIDENTIAL (single-family) or COMMERCIAL (any other building) in which your building is located may also require you to use the services of companies in good standing with the Quebec Building Authority (RBQ) and to have the work done by employees holding recognized, registered and declared competency cards with the Quebec Construction Commission (CCQ).
Severe fines may be imposed for non-compliance with existing conventions.
A good “brick-and-drinker” will probably start caulking the windows at the bottom of his house but should not jeopardize his physical integrity by risking a fall of the floors.
Consider the finish, the final smoothing of the sealants, around the windows, made by professionals and often more aesthetic than that of a handyman.
Can a new sealant simply be applied over the old one?
Although it is very attractive to save so time and money, it is totally unsuitable and especially unreased to apply the new sealant over the old one.
Those who have experienced it will be able to tell you of the poor result in the very short term. The secret to a professional and sustainable repair of the caulking is based on several factors including the application of generous joints on a maximum of clean and well-prepared surfaces.
The old sealant, which has deteriorated over the years, will be incompatible with the chemical properties of the new sealant.
Also, the state of advanced deterioration of the old sealant will affect the perfect adhesion of the latter directly on the walls of the various substrates.