Nearly 30% of energy leaks for heating are due to air infiltration. To reduce the heating bill, there are many solutions. One of them is the installation of weatherstripping. Find out here what a weatherstripping is and how to install it to reduce air infiltration.
It is a device for caulking the gaps and gaps in the various entrances and exits of a building. The weatherstripping can either be nailed or screwed or glued to the place of air infiltration. The installation of this material is very common in old dwellings. Very practical, weatherstripping is sold in several models.
The different models of weatherstripping
You will find on the market several models of weatherstripping. There are:
- tabular weatherstripping: made of vinyl, it is particularly suitable for metal or wooden doors and windows. This windbreaker-door is extremely waterproof.
- the “V” weatherstripping: also made of vinyl, it is intended for sash windows. You can also use this weatherstripping window for a sliding window. The window can be either wooden or metal.
- the foam rubber weatherstripping: it adheres very easily to the supports that are the windows and doors. The latter can be either made of wood or metal. This weatherstripping is moderately waterproof. As a result, it quickly loses its flexibility.
- the wooden strip equipped with foam rubber: it is placed exclusively on the doors. The latter can be either made of wood or metal. The installation of this caulking device is not at all complicated. The reason is that it is self-adhesive and perfectly resistant to weather attacks.
- magnetic weatherstripping: it is intended for steel doors. This weatherstripping-entrance door has the particularity of being very waterproof. Unfortunately, this tightness decreases in periods of great freshness. There is a version of it. This one is ideal for wooden doors. Its tightness to it is excellent and durable.
- weatherstripping for door sills: this model of caulking device exists in vinyl and metal. To install this weatherstripping-exterior door, simply slide it under the door. Then it will have to be screwed.
- the threshold trim: intended for wooden or metal doors, it is installed most of the time in passing places. It has an excellent seal.
The choice of one or the other of these devices will depend on the intended use, but also on the place where you intend to put it.
Installation of a weatherstripping
The installation of a weatherstripping is relatively easy. Indeed, it will depend on the model of this caulking device that you intend to install. For example, when it comes to a tubular weatherstripping, it must be fixed under the chassis. The tubular section should remain outside. For fixing, you can use either a stapler or small nails. These will be pushed into the support by means of a broquette mallet.
Depending on the weatherstripping model, here are the tools you will need:
- a stapler;
- a putty knife;
- a caulking rifle;
- a broquette mallet;
You will need outside of these tools, hardware. This will obviously depend on the weatherstripping model to be installed.
Have your weatherstripping installed by professionals in Montreal
As you must have noticed, bise cutting can quickly become a complicated task. When this air caulking device is not properly installed, infiltration is persistent. It is therefore necessary to entrust this task to professionals like Calfeutrage Élite.
We are a Canadian company that has been evolving for several years in the field of caulking. The company Calfeutrage Élite intervenes on doors and windows of all kinds. For a Montreal cold cutting installation, we are your first choice ally if you live in Quebec.
Regardless of the type of exits that need to be caulked to reduce heat loss, we will respond perfectly. We also intervene throughout Greater Montreal to install winter window insulation systems.
You can find all weatherstripping models with us. Among the models we offer and install, there is the cold cut patio door. Have you noticed that there is air infiltration in your home through the door of your garage? Don’t panic! If you live in Maisonneuve, Griffintowon or any Montreal neighbourhood, do not hesitate to call calfeutrage Élite. We will hurry to install a cold cutter garage vinyl or silicone.
Whether at your home or your place of business, we are willing to change your faulty weatherstripping. We will offer you for this purpose, the best weatherstripping door.